Monday 28 July 2014





exprexs:



I remember my first night on the ward, I remember my mum leaving me alone there, the nurses tried to calm me down, but I just wanted to be alone. I was in tears, I was scared, I’d never felt so alone. I remember locking my door, I remember the screams coming from other patients, all through the night something was going on, a nurse checks on you every half hour, even when you’re asleep. You get lost in your thoughts throughout the night.
The trouble with psych wards is its not just depressed people, there are people who suffer from all kinds of mental illnesses. I remember one night we all had to be locked in our rooms, or stay in the canteen, because one of the patients thought there were aliens on the ward and he starting smashing doors down, breaking windows, hitting the staff. He had to be injected with something to calm him down.
They make it look glamorous in the movies, but from my experience it was not. It was terrifying. I’d never felt so alone, so empty, so scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment