Sunday 14 September 2014

Return To Sender

I received a letter today from J's CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse). He was returning the copy of the complaints letter about the Liaison & Diversion Team which was for his information and to be added to J's file. It's seems that the confidential process regarding complaints against colleagues (? not even in the same building) means he is unable to handle the letter in any way. I might post the actual exchange between us here at a later date but it's a bit long winded. However, I described his attitude as absurd and told him to black out the names or hand it to a colleague if that was the problem, as we want other professionals who read her file to see experiences from her perspective and this may help in safeguarding her in future. I sent the letters back again asking him to add them to her file and that since he was our only consistent contact in the CMHT (Community Mental Health Team) that all future correspondence will be going to him. She has yet to see her new consultant for her community care, Dr K. Inherited notes and nonsense prevail. 

Something stinks. 

For the moment I'm trying incorporate the CPN into part of the solution, not the problem. If he doesn't want to cooperate with J or myself then he should find us a new CPN. (If you sack a CPN, they just shrug and you go without a CPN for months, if you get a new one at all) We could decide that some mistakes have been made because of what he writes and says to other professionals about J. Although I haven't actually complained about him yet, he has let her walk out of his office after she has explained that she needed to kill herself. It's only by chance that I met her at the door to building, if I hadn't she'd happily be on a bus to the motorway. In fact, on that day, I had the pleasure of overhearing a policeman tell him off over the phone (whilst J was struggling in the back of a police car) something along the lines of "I know it's in our ... [domain?], we're dealing with it now" and basically stuff about how "yet again" the CMHT had let someone go and now the police had to "clear up the mess". Along those lines. It was nice to have a bit of validation for a change, and see someone else being indignant.

I know there's all sorts of issues here, but why is safeguarding such a problem for these guys? Why is listening to our views in anything other than a 15 minute minute such a problem?

I'm starting to sympathize with anarchists. My passive aggressive fair-but-firm letter writing will only get me so far. Do we need to move counties? We've definitely had it better than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment