Thursday 19 November 2015

International Suicidal Caveman Day

I'm fascinated by "International Men's Day" and the sudden awareness of high male suicide rates.  From what little bits I've read here and there, suicidal thoughts and planning is not a gender issue, or at least shouldn't be.  My head is a jumble of stats and myth, with a jaded voice from the past telling me that women attempt suicide more but fortunately survive(!?), but men tend to kill themselves in much more dramatic and thus fatal ways.  But I'm not sure I want to believe that any more, since the context in which stats are recorded are subjective (depending upon the prejudices of the professionals involved), especially when it comes to self destructive acts. 

I worked at a mental health drop-in where the members were mainly male, and most of them were blessed with the ability to discuss their feelings.  They were self-identifying as sufferers by attending the drop-in, so I guess the taboo was lessened when it came to talking about fears and feelings, or even emoting in public.  Suicide is still a massive taboo, even amongst professionals, who seem to be without the language skills to even negotiate or explore and defer the simplest of suicidal planning.  

The main message I'm getting from International Men's Day is that men are emotionally stunted cavemen.  Is there really solid evidence that a death rate, in some cases, higher than cancer, could be reduced by men talking things over with a cup of tea?  (But we must do something! we cry)  I knew suicidal men who weren't getting crisis help because they were told their personality disorders were "untreatable".  Again, I must stress that the existing services generally fail in a crisis, at best scaring or isolating a person. The professionals J and I have met seem even more baffled by ongoing suicidal feelings.
It's so disappointing that we are all still at the "awareness" campaign stage, when so many people "talk" and scream for help, and at the very best there might be a volunteer on a phone line to talk to.

Happy International Don't-do-it-for-the-sake-of-beer-and-football Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment