Monday 17 November 2014

Crisis Team Phone Support November 2014

(From a private post written a couple of days ago)
J is having a really tough time tonight and was talking to the local Crisis Team on the phone. Btw her care as an outpatient at home has generally been improved since we complained, but I think this is partly a coincidence and perhaps due to the appointment of a psychiatrist to a post which was populated by locums for three years. Generally the personalities of the people she has had to talk to have been appropriate for the role, as was this worker at the end of the line tonight. The phone was passed to me and I was given “the options” with regards to keeping Jo safe tonight. If J was to be admitted to hospital or any place where she can be kept safe from herself (locally or out of county) we are to ring an ambulance and to go and wait at A&E in the nearby city, where we will then be seen by a mental health professional, who will then consider doing an assessment or passing us back to someone else tomorrow. I pointed out to the worker that I didn’t understand the advantages to J that the Crisis Team (now called the Home Treatment and Recovery Team) was open to her. I pointed out that she may as well have rung Samaritans. Why can’t assessments be done over the phone? etc. I must have been sounding pretty churlish because the worker then asked me “Why are you angry?”. I wish I’d said “why are you a cliche?”, petty I know, but hey. He then explained that one of their team goes across to A&E when needed, but generally you still meet a person who hasn’t read a file and is mainly interested in finding out why not to admit you to hospital because of a bed shortage. We’re playing it hour by hour. J has an option of “respite” stays in hospital, but they have to be organized in advance, mainly to make sure she ends up on a familiar ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment